Sunday, April 17, 2005

Geek Groaners or "I Got There First, Moron!"

Okay, there's no denying it. I'm a geek. I've played D&D and other assorted table-top Role-Playing Games for over 20 years of my life, and I read fantasy novels avidly. This includes Lord of the Rings. I finished the trilogy for the first time when I was 14.

Growing up a geek in the 80's and 90's is a tough thing. We didn't have Bill Gates to prove how overwhelmingly rich geeks can get, and no Peter Jackson to show plebians what us geeks had already seen in our mind's eye for the longest time. Hence, I ask your indulgence for my protectiveness over the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy.

It's with this in mind that I bring to you a small list of things actually overheard in Singapore cinemas. Readers, please feel free to contribute more.

No 3

"Wah! You mean Legolas going to be King?"

Heard this from an Ah Lian after the end of "Two Towers", when the end of the credits showed.



Here's a hint. Who's in the centre of the poster?

No 2

"Eh, this movie =sure= got sequel one!"

Heard this from an Ah Beng at the end of "Fellowship of the Ring".

No shit, Sherlock!

No 1

"Eh, you mean the [Lord of the Rings] book come out so fast after the movie har!"

Heard this in MRT - his friend was clutching a copy of the trilogy.

Die. Just....die.

No comments: