Thursday, April 21, 2005

Almost Infamous III

Back to our regularly scheduled program - meaning I get to boast again about Singapore celebrities.

I first met Julie Wee when I returned to judge a number of debate competitions. Julie was one of the CHIJ debaters that went on to become one of ACJC's debate team members. I had only known her in passing at that time. It wasn't until a few years later, when we met again in a production of "Dead Poet's Society", that I really got to talk to her. She's an articulate, well brought-up lady, and good-looking to boot.


Proof that life is unfair.

Julie's got her own quirks though. She's an avowed vegetarian, and she's pretty vocal about her beliefs. The cynics among us will note that she's a debater, which is synonymous with being vocal about everything.

So one day, while we spent yet another late night rehearsing for "Dead Poets Society", Julie, Glen and I settled down for dinner. Since it was mass "tar-pau" (takeout), it was your standard meat-vegetables-rice in styrofoam boxes. Which Julie promptly started to pick at. Being an avowed carnivore, I proceeded to ask her about the meat.

The conversation between us went something like this.

Me: So what's the deal with the meat?

Julie: Oh I'm vegetarian.

Me: Don't mind me asking, but why are you vegetarian? I know a couple and I like to find out why.

Julie: Yeah, lots of people ask me that. It's a couple of reasons really. The first is that I think it's cruel.

[Long discussion ensues]

Julie: Actually, it's also because I don't like the taste of meat.

Me: But your boyfriend eats meat.

Julie: Right. Cos it's his choice.

[Long Pause]

Me: So...if you kiss your boyfriend...

Julie: WHOA! What's with the third degree here?!

No comments: