Sunday, July 10, 2005

How Far Would You Walk....

...to save 2 quarters worth of parking fees?

When I head to the commercial heart of Berkeley, I usually park my car in the nearest residential area (2 hours free parking) and leg it the rest of the distance. Sometimes I even just forego the parking and walk the whole distance. That's 2.6 miles walking, there and back. All to avoid 50 cents parking and gas money.

I've had a number of struggles to overcome since I've arrived here. For the most part, I think I've done a decent job. The one thing that I haven't been dealing too well with is my new lack of income.

Make no mistake. I miss it, but I'm not going through withdrawal symptoms. However, some spending habits that I've acquired over my three years of work form a very stark contrast to my current situation. When I walk by a restaurant, I look at the menu and am acutely aware that I would have been able to afford it had I still been working. I look at the price tag of a book I want and wonder how much of a dent that would make in my extremely limited budget.

I try to do what I can to save money. Sometimes I wonder if I am going overboard, but I suppress that thought. Better safe than sorry, and I had already had to incur many costs that were not budgetted.

Interestingly enough, it has not dampened my spirits in any way. If nothing else, the whole experience has taught me to appreciate the best things in life. Long walks down Telegraph Avenue (the Bohemian district) on Saturday. Chilling out at the park. Making simple but delicious meals. Those things govern my life now.

I've never been happier.

5 comments:

-ben said...

LOL!
I was walking up and down Telegraph Ave 2 days ago. It is a long way to Downtown Berkeley by CalTrain and then BART, from Santa Clara though. And don't get my started on the dearth of restrooms in Berkeley!

Anthony said...

Ben,

If you ever come down to Berkeley again, gimme an email holler at khaycelim-at-gmail-dot-com. I live 2 blocks away from Telegraph.

Alternatively, there's always the option of meeting at Santa Clara.

-ben said...

Thanks for the invitation, Anthony.
I had no idea you are still living in Berkeley.
That must be quite a commute. The vibrant culture in Berkeley must make it all worth it though.

Anthony said...

Ben,

I am and it's not because of the vibrant culture. It's because my wife will be starting school in UC Berkeley in a month's time.

Davester said...

God damn it, I miss Berkeley!

Dave
Class of '93.